Grammar and Punctuation
What I learn most form this course is parallel structure and sentence variety lessons in Week 4.
It uses some conjunctions like and, but, both….and…, not only…but also…
Use the different 4 types English sentence style, simple, compound, complex and compound-complex to enrich your writing. In addition, adverbs, prepositional phrases (like in the morning), other transitions (furthermore) could be used to create variety. At last, combining the short sentences, medium sentences (10-15 words) and long ones (20-40 words) will also make your writing alive. Some other tips will also help like repeating key nouns, using synonyms, saying things in different ways.
– Use different sentence types
– Start sentence differently
– Use different sentence lengths
– Use synonyms effectively
Considering sentence variety will be the last step when you revise your essay, so do not do it in the begining.
Main Topic: My Favorite Season
- My favorite season is spring.
- Why do I like spring most?
- What did I do last year in this season?
- What am I going to do in the coming spring?
As everyone knows, we have four seasons in a year. They are warm spring, hot summer, cool autumn and cold winter. And my favorite season is spring.
You may wonder why I like spring most.
Firstly, the whole world becomes green and live in spring, rather than white and dead in winter. The trees turn green and the flowers are blooming. Everything is awake. By the way, I was born in spring
Secondly, the weather becomes warmer and warmer. This really makes me very comfortable. Because it is too cold in winter and too hot in summer. It rains sometimes and the plants long for the rains in spring. I don’t like the heavy rain much in either summer or fall.
Last but not the least, I love the beautiful and colorful landscape in spring. The outside world are covered by different colors like a girl wearing her colorful dress.
I always go for a walk in the country, climb mountains and fly a kite in my favorite season spring. I am quite enjoyable by breathing the fresh air or feeling the wind going through my figures when I fly a kite. Last year, I went to XiangShan mountain in Beijing and saw very colorful flowers there. I even took lots of pictures of the beautiful scene with my camera.
Frankly speaking, I don’t have such a plan like somewhere specific to visit in the coming spring. But I do hope I can get a chance to go abroad and see the different view in some foreign country.
Your Task: Discover Your Ideal Self
Take out a new piece of paper and answer the following questions:
- What is your ideal self like? Describe him/her as much as possible. Below are some helping points to conjure up the image of your ideal self (you don’t have to answer all of them):
- What traits does he/she possess? (Refer to How To Be a Better Me if you need some inspiration.)
- What are his/her values in life? (For those with a copy of The Personal Excellence Book, refer to the article Discover Your Values, an exclusive article which can only be found in the book.)
- How does your ideal self conduct him/herself around others?
My ideal self has all the five golden traits – Meditation, Health, Diligence, Concentration, Persistence and live my life shining.
Can do what I think should be done with high efficiency freely.
Have something in my life which i am very proud of, like my career, family or some skills.
Love by people around me and loved by them.
- How would you assess this ideal self on a scale of 1-10? – 10
- It should be a 10/10 – else it’d not be your ideal self!
- If it’s not 10, redo Q1 until you get a 10/10 score.
- What are 3 baby steps you can start right away to live in line with your ideal self?–I have done that.
- Take action on them right away!
- Schedule them in your calendar if they are time-based.
“What you resist will persist”